CATTLE DRIVERS-A COMBINATION OF KINDNESS AND COURAGE
This breed was founded in England. They are used for driving cattle to the market and they use to even compete in sports called bull painting. Over the years many changes have come in this breed and with those changes, it won't be wrong to call them as a gentle companion. They just love kids. Talking about their description we can call them as a medium size dog. They have very broad shoulders and chest. They have big and strong jaws and dark eyes. They were not considered as an affectionate dog but if you meet them today your perception about them would easily change. They are very courageous but are prone to many health issues. One of the biggest reason for bad health issues with them is their body structure and especially the structure of the head ( because of shot nose they have respiration issue).
- Male English bulldogs are from 31 centimeters to 40 centimeters
- Female English bulldogs are from 31 centimeters to 40 centimeters
- Males weigh from 23 to 25kgs.
- Females weigh from 18 to 23kgs.
To check whether your dog is overweight or not you can perform a very well known method:
First, look down at him. You should be able to see his waist. Then place your hands on his back, thumbs along the spine, with the fingers spreading downward. You should be able to feel his ribs even though you can't see them, it means he needs less food and more exercise.
LIFE SPAN :
English bulldogs will make your journey special for 8 to 10 years.
- Colour: brindle, brindle and white, fawn, fawn and white, fawn and brindle.
FOOD HABITS :
They don't need to eat in bulk. You cannot make them eat for the whole day, you have to stick to a schedule and divide the meal between two times a day. They need half to 2 cups of high-quality dry food in a day.
But with this, I would even tell that the need for a dog's body varies from one dog to another because that depends completely on their physical needs. If your dog is sporty and an active one, then, of course, he will need more food than others. So it's important to watch out your dog and accordingly develop up their eating habits.
It's important to feed your pet with the right quantity and quality of food to help them grow in the best manner they may can.
You should never share human food with your pet because that may contain elements which can be toxic for your pet for example potatoes, chocolates, etc.
CARING TIPS :
They cannot bear hot and humid weather at all. If you think they are okay in cold weather then also you are wrong because they are even sensitive to cold weather. They snore. When it comes to giving birth to their younger ones then again this breed faces many issues (difficulty in giving births). Caring them is not so difficult for these lovable dogs. With them, you will have a happy and easy going life.
MEDICAL TIPS :
HIP DYSPLASIA -
- In this condition, the bones don't fit into the hip joint.
- The dog will have pain and will be low on rear legs.
ELBOW DYSPLASIA -
- It is caused due to the different growth rate of three bones that together make up the dog's elbow causing joint laxity.
TAIL PROBLEMS -
- In this, it is caused to have various skin infections.
HEAD SHAKES -
- This is caused is caused by shaking up the head into different directions.
- This can be violent at times.
- They catch but allergy very soon and it can be caused by anything. If he starts licking his paws or if he rubs his face more often then it's time to get him checked up.
BRACHYCEPHALIC SYNDROME -
- In this, the airways of the dog is obesity
INVERTED OR REVERSE SNEEZING -
- In this, the nasal fluid gets dripped and the palate gets closed.
DRY EYE -
- Naturally, the tears which are produced does not get produced in the proper amount.
- It gets to have a dry appearance.
CHERRY EYE -
- There is a gland under their third eyelid which bulges outwards and it really looks like as if there is a cherry in the corner of the eye.
HOW TO SELECT YOUR ENGLISH BULLDOG :
There are two most important things you should keep in mind if you are planning to buy an English bulldog.
First and the most important thing is to approach a reputed breeder because if you are not doing that remember you are on the verge of getting trapped and will be fooled out with a dog of the different breed. No doubt, that there are many beautiful dogs which will give you an illusion of being an English bulldog but as we know looks is not all that is needed in a pet. So choose your breeder wisely and smartly. Try not getting fooled up from the fake breeders. Last but not the least choose the breeder with your area of interest.
The second thing I believe comes as being an important point of concern is the quality of pedigree and remember only a reputed or a good breeder will only know what is pedigree. Actually, quality pedigree means what kind of parents, grandparents and ancestor that particular pet had, because through that only you will understand the abilities, temperament and health of that pet, as almost the same traits are passed as hereditary. Basically track record of a quality pup is very important.
Now what mostly happens is that at times we confuse the two important terms pedigree and puppy's registration but they are too different. Through pedigree, a reputed breeder can tell you what qualities the pet must have inherited but through registration papers, you identify who are the parents and ancestors of the pup but they will not tell you about the qualities.