FISHERMAN'S DOG-NEW FOUNDLAND
"They were bred for the fisherman"
They have originated from Canada. They are not just large by appearance but are strong as well. They are used as working dogs. They were actually bred so that they can pull up nets for fisherman. Once they are fully grown up they are very big dogs. There work dedication is way too better than other dogs. They need a cold environment but they get settled with the warmer environment also (but they need time).
- The height of male New Foundland is from 69 centimetres to 74 centimetres.
- The height of female New Foundland is from 63 centimetres to 69 centimetres.
- The weight of female New Foundland is from 45 kgs to 55 kgs.
- The weight of male New Foundland is from 60 kgs to 70 kgs.
They will be with you for 8to 10 years.
- Colour: black and white, black, grey.
- Their outer coat is very long.
- Their inner coat is very soft and dense.
FOOD HABITS :
They don't need to eat in bulk. You cannot make them eat for the whole day, you have to stick to a schedule and divide the meal into two times. They need four to five cup of high-quality food.
But with this, I would even tell that the need for a dog's body varies from one dog to another because that depends completely on their physical needs. If your dog is sporty and an active one, then, of course, he will need more food than others. So it's important to watch out your dog and accordingly develop up their eating habits.
It's important to feed your pet with the right quantity and quality of food to help them grow in the best manner they may can.
You should never share human food with your pet because that may contain elements which can be toxic for your pet for example potatoes, chocolates, etc.
Training them properly is very important and in that training, it is important to socialize them as early as possible because in case if they are not socialized soon then they may develop aggression towards other animals and especially of the same gender. We know one thing very well, that is what you sow is something that you get. So be aware while training them and focus over obedience training. Socializing them is very important. They need 20 minutes of exercise and a minimum of half an hour of play time. Physical exercise is important because that helps in burning stress and calories. Don't let them get bored because then they may get destructive.
First and the most important thing about their ears and face is that they should be kept clean and dry always. You can clean them with baby wipes so as to keep them infection free. Always keep their ears moisture free because bacteria may attack them and they may face severe infection. Yes, another thing is you cannot make them overeat because overeating will spoil their health and behaviour. You should bathe them every two weeks. Their nails should be always trimmed. They are prone to joint damages so keep that in mind that their joints don't get hurt.
MEDICAL TIPS :
ADDISON'S DISEASE (HYPOADRENOCORTICISM) -
- In this, the adrenal gland is not produced properly.
ELBOW DYSPLASIA -
- It is caused due to the different growth rate of three bones that together make up a dog's elbow causing joint laxity.
- Gaining weight can cause any problems for your dog. As you know your dog is a bit lazy one so don't let them gain weight because cutting weight would become a big
GASTRIC DILATATION VOLVULUS -
- In this bloating happens which can be a life-threatening thing. In this, the dog is not able to vomit out the extra air in his stomach.
- This happens because of thyroid gland when it goes unbalanced in the body.
- It causes the cloudy spot on eye lens and it can happen at any age.
SUBVALVULAR AORTIC STENOSIS -
- Caused by a narrow connection between left ventricle and aorta
HOW TO SELECT YOUR NEW FOUNDLAND :
- There are two most important things you should keep in mind if you are planning to buy a New Foundland.
- First and the most important thing is to approach a reputed breeder because if you are not doing that remember you are on the verge of getting trapped and will be fooled out with a dog of the different breed. So choose your breeder wisely and smartly. Try not getting fooled up from the fake breeders. Last but not the least choose the breeder with your area of interest.
- The second thing I believe comes as being an important point of concern is the quality of pedigree and remember only a reputed or a good breeder will only know what is pedigree Actually quality pedigree means what kind of parents, grandparents and ancestor that particular pet had, because through that only you will understand the abilities, temperament and health of that pet, as almost the same traits are passed as hereditary. Basically track record of a quality pup is very important.
- Now what mostly happens is that at times we confuse the two important terms pedigree and puppy's registration but they are too different. Through pedigree, a reputed breeder can tell you what qualities the pet must have inherited but through registration papers, you identify who are the parents and ancestors of the pup but they will not tell you about the qualities.